Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Khannnn!

I'm not sure how to approach this one.  It started with a Twitter exchange that got me thinking about how to teach CDA, and my own Informatics class work which involves short lectures from the Khan Academy. I'm wondering how to put the two concepts together.  I have all the content I need (and others have content for other training).

What I'm wondering about is what it would take to start putting together some short (5-10 minute) videos , and how they should be structured.  I found this explanation about what tools the Khan Academy uses for its videos.

Being able to edit XML on the screen in real time, and annotate it with a pen while recording would be great. I'm not sure what tools I would need to do that. I seem to recall webex has a way you can do that, which may be a way that I can annotate on screen while I'm using an application.  I might also be able to record the output, but then I'd have to convert that to a more usable format.  I just don't have enough experience with either of those tools.  Some screen capture programs might have the right capabilities.  I'd love to be able to annotate real time while I'm demonstrating.

I'm thinking that a class (or element) or template or data type (or two) might be about the right level of segmentation for each one.  I'm going to have to try to find time to try this out.

Damn.  Just what I needed. Another project. Although this one might actually save me time in the long run.


2 comments:

  1. A Screencapture tool such a Camtasia (techsmith) does contain the kind of functionality you describe - to capture the screen and audio, and to annotate/zoom/modify the recording afterwards.

    I've also used it for videos like https://vimeo.com/14388741 - and explantion of basic editing of the HL7 Wiki, viewed hundreds of times over the past few years. A video snippet can act as a small intro, or as a FAQ, and indeed can save a lot of time in the lobg run. "Long Tail" and all that..

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion it has the potential to be more than just a small piece of knowledge. Take a look at Itunes University. If I am able to learn topics as Knowledge Based Systems or Data Mining by watching a lecture (and pass the exam!), it should be possible to do the same with HL7 v3 or FHIR. It's complicated but it's far from rocket science. Maybe I'm from a different generation in which it is common sense that knowledge should be open to everyone. That is what can and will make a difference to mankind. I'm pretty sure that providing free teaching material for FHIR will be a key factor to make it become a real-world standard.

    ReplyDelete