Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Cards against Humility


A lot of my friends, including those in the Healthcare Standards space play Cards against Humanity.
If you have a wicked mind, but are fun loving person you've probably played the game.  If you haven't, please note, some of the text on the above link is in the NQSFWD (not quite safe for work depending) range.

This year for Christmas, I'm building some of my friends their very own personal card, in a deck design I call "Cards against Humility". it allows their name to be played in some pretty rude scenarios in the game.  To print the deck, I used moo.com, printed rounded cards in the MOO Size using super paper in the high gloss format.

To create the cards I set up a Word template with paper width of 2.32" and 3.46", with margins of .32" inches all around.  The "front" of the card (really the back in this case) is Arial Bold 30pt with the words "Cards Against Humility".  Since the back of each card can be different (really the front), I then simply listed the names of my 50 best friends and family that I wanted to be victims.  I wrote their names in Arial 18pt Bold.

You have to upload the front and each individual back as a separate PDF file to moo.com.  I did a bit of digging and found a little word Macro to save each page as a separate PDF.  It's listed below.

Sub Word_ExportPDF()
'PURPOSE: Generate A PDF Document From Current Word Document
'NOTES: PDF Will Be Saved To Same Folder As Word Document File
'SOURCE: www.TheSpreadsheetGuru.com/the-code-vault

Dim CurrentFolder As String
Dim FileName As String
Dim myPath As String
Dim UniqueName As Boolean

UniqueName = False

'Store Information About Word File
  myPath = ActiveDocument.FullName
  CurrentFolder = ActiveDocument.Path & "\"
  FileName = Mid(myPath, InStrRev(myPath, "\") + 1, _
   InStrRev(myPath, ".") - InStrRev(myPath, "\") - 1)

  For pageNo = 1 To 51 Step 1
    DirFile = CurrentFolder & FileName & ".pdf"
    UniqueName = True
  
    'Save As PDF Document
    On Error GoTo ProblemSaving
        ActiveDocument.ExportAsFixedFormat _
        OutputFileName:=CurrentFolder & FileName & Str$(pageNo) & ".pdf", _
        ExportFormat:=wdExportFormatPDF, _
        Range:=wdExportFromTo, From:=pageNo, To:=pageNo, UseISO19005_1:=True
        
     On Error GoTo 0
  
  Next pageNo
  
  Exit Sub

'Error Handlers
ProblemSaving:
  MsgBox "There was a problem saving your PDF. This is most commonly caused" & _
   " by the original PDF file already being open."
  Exit Sub

End Sub

It took me about 10 minutes to plan this out, 10 minutes to make the list, 10 to find the macro and edit it, another 3 to fine tune, and about 10 minutes and about $45 to place the order.  For that I get customized, unique, cheap gifts for some of my best friends, and about 1/3 of my remaining shopping done.

   Keith

0 comments:

Post a Comment