Dear PCC Colleagues,
It is with great pleasure that we announce the IHE annual planning cycle kick off beginning in August 2010, and continuing through October 2010. This e-mail describes the planning cycle process, including the face-to-face meeting in October and the PCC Planning Webinars that lead up to that meeting.
IHE PCC Call for Proposals: Interested parties are invited to submit proposals for new Profiles for the Patient Care Coordination (PCC) Domain to be considered for development in the 2011-2012 cycle of the IHE PCC Domain. Additionally, all IHE members are invited to forward this announcement to their committee mailing lists and other interested persons.
The deadline for submission of a proposal for new Profiles is September 17th, 2010 at 11:59 pm CST.
Proposals must follow the structure and format of the Brief Proposal Template attached, specifically addressing the following:
- What is the problem you propose to solve by this proposal, and how is that problem expressed in practice? (eg. a use case)
- How would fixing this problem improve health care in practice?
- What specific components of standards could be used to solve this problem?
- Include some indication of the business case surrounding the situation if possible. For example, is there an economic motivation for addressing this problem immediately?
- Identify one or more potential editor(s) in the event that the proposal is selected for further evaluation and possible development.
Please use the Brief Profile Template to submit your proposal. Email Completed Proposal documents to both PCC Planning Co-Chairs and HIMSS secretariat:
§ Michael J. McCoy, MD: MMcCoy@che.org
§ Keith Boone: firstname.lastname@example.org
§ HIMSS Secretariat: IHE@himss.org
Invitation to attend IHE PCC Planning Committee meeting: Tuesday & Wednesday, October 19-20, 2010
The meeting RSVP survey link, hotel accommodations, and agenda will be sent out the week of August 9, 2010. Please save these dates on your calendar by opening the ICS calendar invite that is attached to this email.
Dates: October 19 – 20, 2010
Location: Radiological Society of North America
820 Jorie Boulevard , Oak Brook, IL 60523 Phone: (630) 571-2670
The PCC Planning Committee will hold its 2010 planning meeting on October 19-20, 2010 at the RSNA headquarters in Oakbrook, IL. A preliminary agenda of our activities will be sent out after the September 17th deadline, however, history has indicated that our time during the days is flexible and depends on the nature and number of profile proposals. The PCC Planning Committee will vote on the final selection of short-listed proposals at this meeting to move forward for submission to the PCC Technical Committee.
We urge those who propose profiles to attend the Planning Committee meeting either in person or by phone. In-person advocacy has proven to be especially effective in getting profile proposals understood and accepted. We have a relatively short window for turn-around of the detailed proposals for the items selected for this year's cycle so acceptance of proposals depends heavily on the Planning Committee's consensus about the market needs, relative priorities, and level-of-difficulty of all profile proposals at this face-to-face meeting.
IHE membership is required to attend or participate in the PCC Planning face-to-face meeting, and to submit votes on October 19-20, 2010. If you are unsure your organization is an IHE member, please check the membership list. If you would like to apply for membership, please visit this webpage.
In order to participate in meetings, you must first be a delegate of an approved IHE member organization. Membership is granted only to “organizations,” and each member organization names delegates to participate in various domain committees. Please check the membership list to ensure your organization is a bona fide member of IHE. If not, then you can apply for membership (it’s free) using this webpage.
PCC October face-to-face Planning Meeting participation: Any member is entitled to send a delegate to attend a meeting. However in order to vote, the member (organization) must have earned (and maintained) voting privileges prior to the designated meeting. The rules around voting privileges are articulated on the IHE website.
PCC Planning Webinars (Prior to the face-to-face): PCC will schedule four Planning Webinars prior to the October meeting to allow authors to present their proposals to the PCC Planning Committee in advance of the face-to-face. This procedure also allows all Planning Committee members to re-establish their voting rights. We have established specific procedures for the Planning Webinars, so please make sure you understand and follow the instructions below to ensure you will have the right to vote at the meeting.
1. PCC Planning Webinars have been tentatively set for the dates listed below. The exact dates and times will be sent out as soon as possible. We will populate the schedule of presentations immediately following the September 17th submission deadline.
§ The PCC Planning Webinars will run during the following weeks:
September 27 – October 1, 2010
October 4 – October 8, 2010
Webinars will be two hours long with 6- 15 minute profile presentations
2. These webinars will be considered decision meetings. We will attempt to reach consensus (rather than hold a formal vote) at each webinar as to the validity of each individual proposal, including whether it makes sense to request proposal authors to combine initiatives where overlaps exist. No proposals will be rejected at this stage, only aligned with one another, and only where appropriate.
- In order to ensure voting privileges at the face-to-face meeting, we will require each member (organization) to attend a minimum of 2 (out of the 4) webinars that precede the meeting. We will be taking careful attendance at each webinar to ensure proper execution of this process. Please ensure you clearly understand this requirement.
- Committee rosters can be viewed on the IHE FTP site at: PCC Rosters
PCC Planning Webinar Procedures: Each webinar will be organized as follows (this will vary slightly depending upon how many proposals we will be reviewing):
1. The two hour time allocation will be divided into six, 15 minute time-slots, with 30 minutes for introductory remarks and follow-up discussion.
2. Each 15 minute timeslot will be allocated to a profile proposal… the first 10 minutes will be taken up by a presentation by the proposal author, with the remaining 5 minutes reserved for discussion and any disposition (if required). In order to maintain equity across all presenters, we will constrain each presenter to this requirement!
3. Each 10 minute presentation will be constrained to a maximum of five (5) PowerPoint slides, presenting your proposal concisely and completely. We have taken the liberty of supplying a presentation template that you may choose to use, and this can be found in the following folder on the IHE ftp site at: ftp://ftp.ihe.net/Document_templates/Planning%20Documents_2009/
4. A sample webinar agenda is shown below (note that we will assign presenters/topics to each timeslot after the September 17th submission deadline):
Sample - IHE PCC Planning Committee Webinar #1 (of 4)
October 4, 2010 • from 1 pm- 3pm Central Time
Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 866-469-3239
Access code:922 746 120
Presentation #1 (topic, presenter)
Presentation #6 (topic, presenter)
Wrap-up discussion, disposition
5. The final webinar will be reserved for presentation/discussion on any proposals that have been combined or otherwise re-worked as a result of discussion during the first three sessions. We will ensure that the agenda for this session is published with as much advance notice as possible.
6. Each of the four webinars will be recorded with links published, so members can view (or review) the profile proposals prior to the October face-to-face meeting. We will also publish an agenda, together with procedures, for our face-to-face meeting.
IHE PCC Planning Webinar Dates:
- Webinar #1 & 2: September 27 – October 1, 2010 – Dates and times TBD.
- Webinar #3 & 4: October 4 – October 8, 2010 – Dates and time TBD.
The agenda’s for these Webinars will be sent out after the September 17th, 2010 deadline.
If you have any additional questions please contact the PCC Planning Co-Chairs.
Thank you for your participation and support of IHE.
Keith Boone and Michael McCoy
IHE PCC Planning Co-Chairs