Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What is this Gunge in my Head

As a standards geek, I spend a surprising amount of time (at least to me): digging through, commenting on, and refering others to applicable laws and regulation for my region.  My region happens to be the United States, and here are some of the laws and regulations that I have to read through.  Those with a next to them have been bookmarked by the second recipient of the Ad Hoc Harley Award.  If I could ever go back in time, I think the last thing I would ever do is tell myself that I've had to read the Senate Bill, the House bill, and the conference committee consolidation all in the same week, or that I'd plowed through more than the equivalent of two reams of regulations in a single day.  I'd laugh myself out of the room.

Never-the-less, being aware of local policy (law and regulation) that impacts standards and interoperability is a pretty important part of my job.  I hadn't realized how much gunge was in my head until I spent an hour and a half with a new regulatory analyst yesterday.  This isn't a complete list of applicable laws and regulations, but if you do what I do (or what she does), it's probably a good start.

Laws

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
American Rehabilitation and Reinvestment Act (ARRA)
Title XIII of Division A and Title IV of Division B of ARRA are known as the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH)
Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA)
Medicare Modernization Act (MMA)

Regulations

ARRA/HITECH

45 CFR Part 170 Meaningful Use Standards Final Rule
42 CFR Parts 412, 413, 422, and 495 Meaningful Use Incentives Final Rule
45 CFR Part 170.400 Meaningful Use Temporary Certification Final Rule
45 CFR Part 170.400 and 170.500 Meaningful Use Certification Notice of Proposed Rulemaking 

45 CFR Parts 160 and 164: Breach Notification Interim Final Rule

HIPAA

Combined text of all HIPAA Regulations including:
  • 45 CFR Parts 160 and 162 Code Sets and Transaction Final Rule
  • 45 CFR Parts 160, 162 and 164 Privacy Final Rule, Security Final Rule
  • 45 CFR Parts 160 and 164 Privacy Final Rule
Claim Attachments Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (Withdrawn)
ICD-10 Final Rule
X12N 5010 Final Rule

CLIA

42 CFR Part 493 Clinical Laboratory Improvement Regulations

MMA

Medicare Part D Regulations

Other

45 CDF Part 411 Stark Relaxation and Anti-Kickback Safe Harbors for EHR and e-Prescribing


2 comments:

  1. Thanks to LG for clarification on the definition of the HITECH Act.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith you continue to impress and amaze me - nice list!

    ReplyDelete