Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Hug a Public Health Nurse

I spent half a day today with our town's public health nurse.  After that exercise, I can tell you that's a truly awesome and under-appreciated position.  I learned quite a bit about what a small-town public health nurse does, and their influence on the community.  The job is a cross between direct care, social service, junior filing clerk, senior filing clerk, master statistician, school gate-keeper, public health enforcer, and shoulder to cry on.  There's not a lot of supervision, resources, or space.  At the same time, there's a lot of discretion, and ability to make a difference within a community.

My respect for public health nurses, especially in small towns like mine has increased greatly today.

1 comment:

  1. I learned quite a bit about what a small-town public health nurse does, and their influence on the community. impotens behandling

    ReplyDelete