Friday, January 2, 2015

Nobody Knows

In looking back over 2014, and looking forward to 2015, two things stands out: uncertainty and change.  As I look into my crystal ball at the beginning of this year, I see more fog than I have seen in many years.

  1. The US national program is at a time of transition, from the carrot to the stick. Incentives are no more.  Penalties kick in this year.  Will that work? 
  2. At the same time, many hope that the incoming congress will pass new laws changing the way the Meaningful Use program works.  Will that happen?
  3. Meaningful Use Stage 3 proposed rule, which many and projected to drop December 23rd as usually is still waiting in the wings,  Clearly it is no longer business as usual at ONC.  What's in the proposed rule?
  4. ONC now hosts at most three of the original people staffing it under ARRA.  Few really have a clue what is going to happen here either.  What will ONC look like when it grows up?
  5. FHIR will soon be launching its second DSTU.  The first pilots of FHIR using DSTU 1 will soon be appearing.  Will it work, or won't it?  
  6. IHE and HL7 will soon have a joint workgroup. There is a lot of opportunity here to bring together these two organizations which have had an on-again off-again love-like-hate-envy-love relationship.  , will it be successful?  
On a personal note, I am now half-way through my degree program according to hours needed to graduate, and so far carrying a very credible GPA.  I'm looking forward to teaching my first semester long class later this year on Interoperability and Standards. Will I become one of those ivory tower academics that I so despised earlier in my career?  (I certainly hope not, but ...)

For next year, I have to plan out what I will be doing, and how my new role(s) will be evolving.  As to what that will look like?

So, wishing you a joyful new year, and as for all the rest ... I dunno.

    Keith

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your great post. Your post obviously informative and effective. xnxx

    ReplyDelete