Thursday, June 11, 2015

How Transparency Enables Competition in a Market

So, I'm planning to have solar PV installed at my new house.  The state of Massachusetts and the federal government provide a lot of incentives to enable this.  I can get 30% of my installation cost back in federal tax credits, and something like $1000 from state credits, plus I can generate value through SRECs.  The state publishes a list of installers, as well as thes cost of installation in $/Watt. I've been using that list to pick solar companies to talk to.  The most popular installer also happens to be one of the more expensive, at $5.50/W, while others are in the $3.50 to $4.00 range.

In ONC's report on "Data Blocking", they note that pricing for interfaces is unknown.  Wouldn't it be interesting if incented providers under MU also had to report the price they paid for a system in order to get the incentive?

Oh, damn, the incentives are done. Maybe next time.


0 comments:

Post a Comment