Tuesday, October 4, 2016

FHIR to EHR Data Mappings

I've looked at a lot of EHR database schema over my career.  One of the things that I've found about FHIR is that it captures the essential model of an EHR system (just about ANY EHR system).  There really shouldn't be any surprises here.  It's based on six years of work that led to CCD, C32 and CCDA as well as a lot of other good information sources.  You can also find a good bit of that model already present in in CIMI via some of Intermountain's detailed clinical modeling efforts from the past.  What FHIR does differently is expose the right grain size I think, from what prior efforts in HL7 have attempted.

As both Graham and John have pointed out, yesterday's diagramming work still leaves a lot to be desired.  However, I will continue on to see where it goes.  I think there's an important piece of information there we should all be looking at very carefully.  I was already quite pleased to see that the patient and physician show up right in the center of it all.  Clustering algorithms like those used in GraphViz tend to surface interesting relationships like that.

I'm wondering if there are some better clustering algorithms to play with that might help identify interesting groupings and see how we did with resource classification.  Clearly the grouping of Individuals nailed it in Identification (under Administration).  Something like these might be worth digging into.

   -- Keith

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Duh... took me a moment there... how'd that class go?

      Delete
  2. I thought we might get to something like this: http://www.fmsasg.com/socialnetworkanalysis/SocialNetworkAnalysis_Graph.gif

    ReplyDelete