I'm spending today at the Query Health Technical Committee face to face meeting. We spent the morning deciding on how to "build" the code that will be used to pilot the technologies. I saw this slide for the first time this morning:
It means that the work I've been doing demonstrating implementation of HQMF for the last few weeks has been largely successful. There are now four major coding tasks. One involves the PopMedNet policy framework, another involves the hQuery back-end, and the other the I2B2 back-end. The fourth piece, which Sean Nolan labeled the "Keith Stream" of work (and which I heard as "Keith's Dream", which is a pretty good interpretation), is transformation of HQMF queries into hQuery or I2B2 implementations which can then be run against either back end.
The intention is that HQMF be the standardized, model based query specification, with an option for use of I2B2 or hQuery when something really convoluted might be needed. Both hQuery and I2B2 have query builder interfaces (whose output might be transformable to HQMF), and NQF is working on some sort of HQMF Editor (called the Measure Authoring Tool) the as well. I may build some front-end transformations so that users familiar with the existing tools could generate an HQMF in those interfaces that could run against either back-end.
I also have some hope of designing (and maybe even building) an XQuery based implementation, but that would require more resources that I currently have at this point in time.
After lunch, we started talking about the plugin model. It was then that I became very thankful that I no longer code up web user interfaces.
Updated to reflect correction on the Measure Authoring Tool.