Monday, July 2, 2012

Make Mine a Porter

I've been in my fair share of heated standards discussions.  And the good Lord knows I enjoy an argument.  I can descend into pedantry with the best of them, and often do.  But the end result of a consensus making process really ought to be something that we can all agree to live with.  It need not be the most perfect so long as it moves us all in the right direction.

Ross Martin captures it quite well in these lyrics (recording coming soon I'm told).

People who spend time at standards meetings understand that the best work often happens after hours, for these very reasons.

I leave you with these words of wisdom and a riddle.
God gave you two ears and one mouth, use them proportionately.
And finally, the riddle, the answer to which is what I've found across many an aisle or bar-top, and to which the answer can be found in Ross's lyrics.





1 comment:

  1. It's not exactly on topic, but see this commentary on a recent instance of how Blue Button helped a vet, who also happened to be CIO for Health with the Veterans Health Administration. Perhaps this deserves some discussion, or at least a pointer, on your blog.

    ReplyDelete