Thursday, May 19, 2022

Happy Tears

This stream blew up on twitter, so I thought I'd share it here as well (with edits since I don't have to worry about length limits).

It started this way: I’m with my mom in a Fla @HCAhealthcare hospital. It’s the day after surgery, and I ask to find out how to get a copy of the surgeon’s report.

“I can’t print that out.’’ says the nurse.

“That’s not what I’m asking, I asked what I need to do to see a copy.”

She directed me to go to medical records… when I went to the first floor, I asked information desk for medical records. The kind woman at the desk asked what I was trying to do (she should be a requirements analyst). She guided me to patient portal sign-up pamphlet, which I then took upstairs

Within minutes I was in, and looking at my mother’s Visit Summary CCDA with exactly the information I was looking for. Surical note wasn’t ready yet, but expecting it in a few days after pathology is done. I nearly cried. I’ve spent 20 years getting us to this point with a lot of help from many, many others.

Later, talking to my family about it, I did cry.

Thank you, Aeowolf, Alan, Bill, Charles, Chris, Dave, David, Don, Doug, Farzod, Gail, Gila, Greg, Gretta, Harry, John, Laura, Lisa, Mark, Meg, Paul, Rick, Richard, Rob, Steve, Tom, Virginia and all of the rest of you to numerous to mention who made it possible!

We aren’t done yet. When I can download an app of my choice, maybe select a hospital and see this same data because of APIs, I’ll probably cry again.


Mom is home now. The surgery went very well. I got two calls from the surgical nurse during the surgery to let me know how it was going, a call from the surgeon once he was done, and a final one from the post-op charge nurse once she was about ready to head upstairs.

Following up with mom's nurse after, I (gently) told her that the next time someone asks her the question I asked, she should direct them to the sign-up for the portal, and that the front desk has the information needed to do that. I've been to some hospitals that actually put that on a table in the patient room, but this one didn't.

I got a lot of great feedback from folks in that stream who's responses would have been very helpful to someone in my situation who didn't really know how to work the system, and some really great compliments from others who know I know that. Thanks to all who responded as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment