Thursday, February 21, 2013

Viewpoints

I was reading an article someone had referred me to the other day on patient engagement.  One person thought it was a good article, another thought it to still be too paternalistic.  My own viewpoint is somewhat different from either.

It shows an interesting shift in provider attitudes, and that they've come a long way from previous positions.  Yes, as written, it would piss off many patients.  But it wasn't really written with patients in mind.  The audience was physicians, and I think the authors approached their target audience well.

When I read things like this, I always try to account for the viewpoint of the author or organization writing the article.  It's really difficult sometimes to deal with viewpoints you don't necessarily understand or worse yet, disagree with strongly, but it is certainly worth the attempt.

Of course, reading anything this week is a lot easier.  Mostly because if I'm reading anything at all, it's because I want to rather than have to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment