Friday, September 20, 2013

Words Like Loaded Pistols

I just finished reading Words Like Loaded Pistols: Rhetoric from Aristotle to Obama.  I picked it up last Sunday after it appeared prominently in the sermon.  At 322 pages I expected to be finished with the book Monday night.  I was wrong.  It was one of those books where I needed to read a chapter (or two), and take some time to digest.  What it had to say.  A book that I cannot finish in a few short hours, but want keep reading is a rare pleasure.

One of my favorite things about the book is how the author (Sam Leith) is how much fun he is clearly having a) writing the book, b) using the text as an example of rhetorical figures and tropes, and c) choosing fun examples (dissecting Kyle's Mom is a Bitch from South Park).

Whether you need convince a client, a colleague, or a CEO*, this is simply a book worth reading.

   -- Keith

* The book calls this rhetorical figure a Rising Tricolon


0 comments:

Post a Comment